SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

10/10/2007

650B Cometh!

According to UPS Tracking, my new-to-me 650B wheelset is scheduled for delivery sometime today. That means I should be able to join this club this weekend!

It's all part of my new Master Plan: Experience It for Yourself! I've grown weary reading about what people think of 650B wheels, low-trail geometry, and a bunch of other issues on the usual-suspects bikey forums; listening to the various arguments and wondering who's right. I've decided that the best way to find out is to form my own opinion based on my own unique experience -- and the only way to accomplish that is just to pony up, buy the stuff, and put some miles on it!

So -- at the risk of accumulating Still More Bike Junk and pissing off my wife -- I'm buying Yet Another Wheelset and (as a separate experiment) Just One More Bike Frame (a Kogswell P/R to check out this low-trail thing) and find out whether I like it or not. It's an educational investment, if you will. Whatever I don't like will get resold and passed on, whatever works well will stick, and hopefully in the process I'll learn a thing or two and I'll also be able to streamline the bike-fleet somewhat.

The results will get posted here.

UPDATE: The wheels have arrived (at my wife's work)! Picking them up tonight hopefully! Velocity Synergy rims (offset rear) laced 32x to 105 8/9spd hubs, shod with Nifty Swifty tires. Brakes will be Riv's Silver (rebadged Tektro R556).

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"We are the 650Borg. You will be assimilated."

7:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought the Kogs was equipped with cantilever bosses - are you putting on the silver's in spite of that or did you get a P/R without them?

8:47 AM  
Blogger jim g said...

@randall -- The P/R frame and 650B wheels are separate experiments: the wheels are going on my RB-1, while the P/R the 700C version specifically to test low-trail geometry.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>"We are the 650Borg. You will be assimilated."

Naaaah. Did it. Tried it. Didn't work for me. ; )

That said, Have you gotten your 650b *frame* yet?

11:22 AM  
Blogger jim g said...

@beth -- I'm getting a *700C* Kogswell P/R, not the 650B version.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home