SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

2/21/2008

Commute Much?

A while back, I rode out to Point Reyes Station with a friend. At one point, we were passed by a Hot Tri Babe on a carbon racing bike with aero bars. As I was riding back home near Larkspur, close to dusk and after my compatriot had split off to head for home, I crossed paths with her again. As we rode along, she asked me where I was headed. "San Francisco" said I. She then asked where I'd ridden to. "Just to Point Reyes" I replied. "The lighthouse?" she asked -- "No, just the town" I returned. "Oh, nice" she said. Finally she queried "Commute much?" probably eyeing my fenders, lights, bike luggage, and various bits of reflective gear... "When I get the chance" I replied. Only later did I realize that she probably assumed that I commuted on that bike, although I have another bike which is dedicated to that task.

I find it telling that people -- even "hard core" cyclists -- assume that if your bike has lights and fenders, it must be for commuting. Because, you know, why else would anyone be out riding at night?!?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've gotten the "other" version of that:

Was riding a fendered and racked UJB commute bike and passed a fellow on the MV path who was rode more of an open-wheeled racer. Heard someone breathing behind me for a while, and when we stopped for the Blithedale light, he said, "...man, you must own a good bike too!"

At the time, that was my only road bike. When I told him that, I got the spit-take, vacant stare of disbeleif.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Scott Clark said...

> "...man, you must own a good bike too!"

Snort! :-)

I got the same reaction at an LBS when we were discussing a problem with my fender'd Univega. The mechanic said something ending with "...since it's only for commuting." I said something about wanting to do longer rides on it, and got befuddled silence in response.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Down in the South Bay I see plenty of road bikes equipped with clip on fenders these days, though proper commuting bikes (and tourers & rando bikes used for commuting) are getting more popular too.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home