SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

11/20/2008

OT: Giving Thanks

I've been saying for the past few weeks that this upcoming Thanksgiving is going to be a crappy one: My wife got laid off; my job's future is unknown; and the economy's in the toilet, freaking everyone out.

But something happened yesterday which has put all of that into new perspective: Now I'm thankful that my wife has several months of severance, that I still have a job, that we (at least for now) have a roof over our heads, that we have great friends and of course our families and each other. (I am even thankful for such minor things as shimmying bikes!)

A close friend of ours passed away yesterday, very suddenly and unexpectedly. We are still in shock, angry, and in disbelief. He was relatively young, vibrant, and in good health. I still cannot believe that I will never again have the privilege of good conversation with him and hearing is unique laughter. An amazingly smart and talented man, I will miss him.

Whatever you are doing right now, STOP and contact those you love and are close to, and tell them how important they are to you. You never know when, in but a moment, they might be gone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Neil Anderson said...

Sorry for your loss, Jim.

Thanks for reminding me to give thanks for blessings and loved ones.

best to you and yours in '09.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home