SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

10/24/2014

Custom is Custom

I just picked up rack project #10 from the powdercoater.

Boom.

It's a 9x13" demi-porteur designed to fit on a Surly Big-Dummy fork.  It's pink (RAL 4010 to be specific) because that's the color the customer's daughter chose (she rides on the back of said Big Dummy).  Custom is custom!

I'm happy with how the rack turned out.  It's got some unique features, including an offset backstop to clear a Wald basket, six threaded bosses at the corners to bolt down the basket, and light wiring guides for right-side dyno power up and over to a left-side headlamp mount.  Also, since this particular bike uses disk brakes and the cantilever brake studs are unused, this rack bolts directly to the brake stud bases with chunky M10 socket-head bolts.  I had to hand-cut oversized rack tabs to accommodate that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Steve said...

Great rack! I found this post through google - I have a Big Dummy also and was looking for a porteur rack along these lines. Would you be interested in producing a second one?

11:41 AM  
Blogger jim g said...

Hi Steve, unfortunately I'm not set up to build these commercially to order. I can recommend some professional rack builders if you're interested. Thanks!

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home