SF Cyclotouring

Ride reports and other ramblings from a San Francisco cyclist.

12/25/2006

2006.12.23 - Ride to Point Reyes Station


Overall view
Originally uploaded by jimgskoop.
After a late start and some crossed wires, Cyclofiend and I managed to sync up and ride out to Point Reyes Station for lunch. We rode out through Fairfax via the usual route, climbed White's Hill and rolled through Samuel P Taylor Park, passed by Olema, and finally reached Pt. Reyes Station. After grabbing a couple of sandwiches at the deli, we rolled up Point Reyes-Petaluma Road, hung a right onto Platform Bridge Road, and cruised back through the park towards Fairfax. I stopped at the Java Hut for some revival java to get me home, and Cyclofiend continued on towards home.

A tough ride for me, I moronically stayed up far too late the night before converting my Fuji CX into [yet another] brevet machine (adding 700x35 Paselas, Esge/SKS P45 fenders, a custom front mudflap, and a Nashbar front mini rack with custom light mounting). Then I woke up feeling as if I was coming down with a cold, and almost bailed on riding altogether. After puttering around the house, getting dressed, and eating something I felt well enough to attempt riding, but of course by this point I was quite late to the meeting point. I'm pretty sure that I phoned ahead to let people know that I was late, but my wife insists that I didn't, and there's no record of the outgoing call in my cellphone. Strange? At any rate about halfway through the ride I hit a wall and ran out of energy -- it was all I could do to turn the cranks to maintain a meager 12mph. I wasn't bonking, I think it was my body beginning to fight off whatever bug I've caught and I simply didn't have the extra energy.

At any rate, 82 miles were covered from about 9am to 4:30pm. On a bike weighing 38 lbs loaded...yikes!

So I forgot to mention -- I didn't take any pencam photos on this ride because I was too cold and tired to deal. Fortunately Cyclofiend snapped a few...

Date: 12.23.2006
Mileage: 82
Bike: Fuji
Time: 9am - 4:30pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home